I had some friends over for dinner recently and wanted to make sure there was a dessert element to the meal. I’d seen some amazing crock pot desserts around Pinterest & was looking forward to trying one. My husband suggested making something that was both chocolate and banana. Unfortunately, Pinterest was only able to provide recipes for crock pot choc chip banana bread.
Then I had a brainwave: Rolo Pudding.
Rolo Pudding is a rich milk chocolate self-saucing pudding made with creamy caramel Rolo chocolate.
This is one of my husband’s all-time favourite dessert recipes since my mum made it for the first time in 2010.
The recipe originally appeared in Super Food Ideas magazine in the July 2010 edition. My mum’s original copy of this delicious Rolo dessert is quite worn because it’s been used that many times!
If you need more Rolo in your life, Pinterest has so many rolo dessert recipes.
And if Rolo isn’t your thing, you can use any flavor of chocolate. Filled chocolates work best but I wonder what it would be like using Reese’s cups.
Sift flour and 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder into a bowl.
Add caster sugar, melted butter, and milk. Whisk ingredients together until smooth and well combined.
Spread the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
A pie dish is my favourite baking dish for a self-saucing pudding.
Break the block (if using) of Rolo chocolate into squares and press it into the top layer.
Smooth the mixture over the top of the chocolate, creating a layered dessert.
Sprinkle brown sugar over the mixture and sift over the remaining cocoa.
Serve with vanilla ice cream. And if you think you need more chocolate, you can always add a squirt of chocolate topping or some extra Rolo candy.
Unfortunately, I wasn’t swift enough to get a photo before most of it disappeared. You have to be quick around here!!
- 220g Rolo block chocolate
- 1 1/3 cup self raising flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 125g butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 3/4 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Grease a baking dish
- Sift flour and 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder into a bowl
- Add caster sugar, melted butter, and milk. Whisk ingredients together until smooth and well combined
- Spread the mixture into the prepared baking dish
- Break the block (if using) of Rolo chocolate into squares and press it into the top layer
- Smooth the mixture over the top of the chocolate
- Sprinkle brown sugar over the mixture and sift over the remaining cocoa
- Carefully pour boiling water over the back of a metal spoon over the mixture
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until top is just set
- Allow to stand for 5 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 486Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 421mgCarbohydrates: 74gFiber: 1gSugar: 56gProtein: 5g